Wednesday, August 16, 2006

drown out the voices

As I write this, I'm sitting at The Last Drop, a cafe which has two outstanding characteristics:
1) They are open till 12 pm, which is, to my knowledge, the latest closing time for a cafe in Center city.
2) They play the most distracting, annoying music at the highest volume possible.

The band currently playing is named "group of people yelping in some strange language I don't understand over spastic electronica". Believe me, they're not about to take off.

But I'm a proactive person. I'm not just going to sit here and take it.
Headphones. Volume. It's time to review some music.

Since this is my first track review, let me let you know where I'm coming from.
I don't listen to club music outside of clubs. My tastes are mostly indy/experimental/post rock, or new-school hiphop.
If you're still with me, let's continue.

Off the ground - Jed and Lucia
The best analogy I can draw is two people whispering behind a drum set, but that's not quite as flattering as I'd like, so try not to think of that. This song has some great contrast between the vocalist's soft voices and the loud snap of the snare within the intermittent drum beat. It feels like the cute pop vocals are at war with the slow hiphopish drumbeat. Dig it.
5 out of 5 Stars... enjoy the battle.

Can't cage a bird - Jed and Lucia
I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for drums, and this drummer has skills. (I have a... um... happy feeling, every time I hear that fucking highhat crash, ahhh.) As such, its worth waiting through a few minutes of soft female whispering to get to it. When the song takes off, the drums, the voices, and the distorted measure length really add up to something pretty invigorating.
4 out of 5 Stars... for making us wait for it.

I reviewed some other songs, but fuck it. If it's below 4 stars, its not worth sharing.
Chill.

- Seg

Mark, thanks for emailing us the tracks! (Fanatic Promotion)
More Jed and Lucia songs can be found on their website.
Full Disclosure: We only post about music we like. We are indifferent to large corporations and tall stacks of money.

No comments: